Patrick tries again...
Dear Derek
Thanks for getting back to me.
Please be assured that, if there’s any credible evidence of criminal activity in Scotland, this will be examined by Police Scotland.
It may be helpful if I explain that Police Scotland are operationally independent of Government and cannot be instructed to investigate – or not to investigate – any evidence of criminality. This is one of the fundamental principles of our police system.
Similarly, the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS), who are Scotland's prosecution service, are entirely independent of the Police and cannot instruct, or be instructed, by them in these matters.
As you're aware, there is an ongoing and wide-ranging inquiry in the Scottish Parliament into all aspects of the handling of complaints against Alex Salmond, with which the Scottish Government are collaborating. If the Committee conducting the inquiry, which includes opposition MSPs, were to discover any evidence of criminality by any party, I'm sure they would report this to police immediately.
If you, or anyone else, feels that they have credible evidence of criminality with respect to the handling of complaints about Alex Salmond, or any other issue, you should report this to the police to ensure that it is properly investigated.
I trust this helps clarify the situation. Please let me know if I can be of any further help with any other issues.
Best wishes
Patrick
Thanks for getting back to me.
Please be assured that, if there’s any credible evidence of criminal activity in Scotland, this will be examined by Police Scotland.
It may be helpful if I explain that Police Scotland are operationally independent of Government and cannot be instructed to investigate – or not to investigate – any evidence of criminality. This is one of the fundamental principles of our police system.
Similarly, the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS), who are Scotland's prosecution service, are entirely independent of the Police and cannot instruct, or be instructed, by them in these matters.
As you're aware, there is an ongoing and wide-ranging inquiry in the Scottish Parliament into all aspects of the handling of complaints against Alex Salmond, with which the Scottish Government are collaborating. If the Committee conducting the inquiry, which includes opposition MSPs, were to discover any evidence of criminality by any party, I'm sure they would report this to police immediately.
If you, or anyone else, feels that they have credible evidence of criminality with respect to the handling of complaints about Alex Salmond, or any other issue, you should report this to the police to ensure that it is properly investigated.
I trust this helps clarify the situation. Please let me know if I can be of any further help with any other issues.
Best wishes
Patrick
-
Patrick Grady
Member of Parliament for Glasgow North
Chief Whip, SNP Westminster Group
Patrick Grady
Member of Parliament for Glasgow North
Chief Whip, SNP Westminster Group
Comments
Post a Comment